Thursday, March 13, 2008

Our big, little guy


Isaac had his four month appointment today. I cannot believe my baby is already four months old. He weighed in at 17 lbs 1 oz and is a whopping 26 inches long. He is in the 90th % for both height and weight...just like his big sister. He is rolling all over the place and absolutely loves to play. He actually gets fussy if you hold him too much- no kidding. Could my children be more opposite??? He had his first bites of rice cereal today. He LOVED it! He literally laughed and smiled through the entire meal. I took a before and after picture, but he didn't waste a drop so the kid was as clean at the end as he was when he started.
Time has flown by over the last four months and the adjustment to having two children has been easier and better then I could have ever wished for. I've heard it said that the adjustment from one to two is extremely challenging, but those who prophesize didn't have my "first time experience." And I don't say that just b/c Grace was colicky and often sick-looking back I had just quit my job, Sid was traveling 3 days (sometimes 4 days) EVERY SINGLE WEEK and we had absolutely no family to help. Janice drove up often from Atlanta to help-out and that was a relief- I will be forever grateful. But most of the time the days were long and it was tough. Grace hated being in the car so we didn't go out as much as I needed to and so we spent much time walking and strolling. It was lonely, honestly. Plus I went from a stimulating graduate school program and teaching economics classes to reciting the ABC song and reading Dr. Seuss board books. I often wondered if I was where God wanted me to be. Now, looking back, God was in every aspect of my life. I was able to enroll Grace in the Mother's Morning Out program at our church when she was three months old. Her teachers were so loving and patient. My friends would bring me dinner and hold Grace so that I could shower and just catch my breath on many nights when Sid was out of town. Janice was able to come up once or twice a month to lend some relief. Grace was born in the summer and she loved being outside- and so that is where we spent lots of time in those early months. I thought that being a stay-home-mom was going to be easy-boy was I wrong. There is nothing on this planet more challenging if you do your job correctly. On particularly tough days I fantasize about getting in my car and driving to a place where the people speak using words with more than one syllable and understand what an interest rate is. I imagine going to the bathroom when I actually need to go, rather than when I can find a free moment to go. I imagine eating a meal all by myself and not having to share "piece of bites." But then I wake up and know that no one else on this earth is going to do glitter glue, paint, and stickers all in one hour with a two year old. I know that no one is going to rock Isaac back to sleep for the third time in 30 minutes and so I know that this IS where God intended me to be; raising my rugrats. Both of my children make me laugh every single day. They fill me with joy and are a constant reminder of Jesus and His love...and His sense of humor.
Grace and Isaac watching Little Bear... Grace's healthy breakfast of a poptart. Yikes!
Isaac before his cereal supper. So excited and doesn't even know what he is in for.

Isaac was extremely helpful with his spoon throughout the entire process-

No comments: