Monday, May 4, 2009

Almost Professional Soccer

We almost didn't make it to soccer today. Grace got up from her nap and declared that she was done with soccer. She said there was too much running. I agree. However, she was the one who wanted to play and I told her that we were not quitting before she even signed up. I am coaching and so she can't really quit anyway. Also, it's not like this is a high-stress commitment sucking up lots of time. We are talking 8 games over 4 weeks. Plus, once she is there she loves it! Most of the time. We are the purple Goldfish and we are pretty good...for a team of 3 year olds. I have 8 players. We are on the field for 45 min. 25 is for practice and 15 for games. I love coaching.This is our pre-practice huddle. We had one out today and two were running around somewhere. I was happy to have 5 in the huddle.


Snack time is the best time for my players. They prefer it to anything else. Capri Suns are now being used as bribery.


This is Grace and her friend Cameron. They both have pink soccer balls and they only come to practice b/c they think the other will be there. Whatever works.

Grace dribbles down the field as I cheer her on and tell her which goal is ours. It is so hard not to be biased. I want Grace to be the best and it upsets me when other kids hurt her. However, I know so well all of the wonderful life skills that playing athletics teaches, even at age 3, and I know these things are well more valuable than being the best on the team. But still, I am her mom first, and that's just how moms are!

This was a practice drill where they had to kick the balls in from the corners. I was surprised at how well they all did.


At the end of the game the kids hit hands and say "good game" and then run through the parent tunnel. They LOVE it!



No comments: